The Adult Studies Program (ASP) is designed to meet the needs of adult students (age 23 and older) who are employed in full or part-time jobs and/or involved in home and community commitments. Courses are offered for Bachelor of Arts degree seekers as well as individuals who wish to pursue enrichment or other short-term goals.
Traditional, Accelerated, Weekend & Hybrid Courses
Classes are conveniently scheduled to enable our students to meet their educational goals at their own pace while managing work, family and other commitments.
- Traditional evening classes, usually one night a week from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. or 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Accelerated 7-week courses
- Friday evening (weekend) classes 6 - 10 p.m. every other week
- Saturday morning (weekend) classes 8:30 - 11:30 a.m.
- Hybrid courses with fewer in-class meetings and more online work
Small, supportive program
- Classes average fewer than 15 students, fostering a friendly community of learners
- Professors teach all classes - no teaching assistants
- A personal adviser will be with you throughout your education at Virginia Wesleyan University, with available evening hours
- "One Stop" office to conduct most college business
Easy transfer of credits for prior learning
- No time restrictions
- We accept most college-level work graded “C” or better from regionally accredited institutions
- We accept CLEP, DANTES, SMART transcript, and ACE evaluations
Office hours that accommodate your schedule
- Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Adult Incentive Grant substantially reduces ASP tuition by more than 70% compared to VWU’s day tuition (a savings of $3,948 per course). This grant is provided automatically to all ASP students.
- Corporate Rate Program
- Tuition deferral with employer tuition assistance
- Financial Aid: government grants and loans available
- Veterans' educational benefits
Click here for more detailed information
The ASP environment
Will I feel comfortable there ?
We believe you will. The Virginia Wesleyan campus is small, friendly, attractive, and safe. If you have needs or concerns, the faculty and staff of the Adult Studies Program are ready to help. In fact, many of your transactions at Virginia Wesleyan – whether it's applying, registering, making payments or buying a parking decal – can be accomplished right in the Adult Studies office, during both day and evening hours.
You'll feel comfortable, too, because you will be attending classes with other adults – adults who, just like you, are trying to add another role to their already busy lives. The camaraderie among students, coupled with the help and support of the faculty and staff, assures understanding and assistance throughout your educational journey.
What will my classes be like?
Your courses will have an average enrollment of fewer than 15 students. This small classroom environment will enable you to have individual attention, comfortable interactions with your professors and a positive learning experience. Virginia Wesleyan faculty are very approachable and they enjoy teaching adults because they appreciate the knowledge and experience you bring to the classroom!
How often will my classes meet?
Most classes meet one night a week, either between 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. or 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Hybrid classes usually meet for the first and last class only, with the remainder of the course work completed online. Summer class schedules vary. Contact an academic adviser for more detailed information at 757-455-3263.