VWU Joins Campus Compact
Virginia Wesleyan has initiated membership with Campus Compact, a national coalition of more than 1,000 colleges and universities dedicated to civic education and community development. As the only national higher education association dedicated solely to campus-based civic engagement, Campus Compact enables campuses to develop students’ citizenship skills and forge effective community partnerships. Its resources support faculty and staff as they pursue community-based teaching and scholarship in the service of positive change. Our participation in Campus Compact builds upon the University’s connections and improves our civic engagement efforts.
“My goal is to emphasize the four academic pillars of Virginia Wesleyan University: undergraduate research, international experience, internships, and civic engagement,” said President Miller. “We strengthened our commitment to civic engagement last semester with the formation of Wesleyan Engaged: Center for Civic Leadership and Service Learning and the appointment of Brian Kurisky as director. It pleases me that we can now proactively affirm the following statements, which characterize Virginia Wesleyan’s current commitments and name the ideals toward which we continue to work with renewed dedication, focus, and vigor:
- We empower our students, faculty, staff, and community partners to co-create mutually respectful partnerships in pursuit of a just, equitable, and sustainable future for communities beyond the campus—nearby and around the world.
- We prepare our students for lives of engaged citizenship, with the motivation and capacity to deliberate, act, and lead in pursuit of the public good.
- We embrace our responsibilities as place-based institutions, contributing to the health and strength of our communities—economically, socially, environmentally, educationally, and politically.
- We harness the capacity of our institutions—through research, teaching, partnerships, and institutional practice—to challenge the prevailing social and economic inequalities that threaten our democratic future.
- We foster an environment that consistently affirms the centrality of the public purposes of higher education by setting high expectations for members of the campus community to contribute to their achievement.”