Director of Residence Life
Located in Virginia Beach, VA, Virginia Wesleyan University, a small, private, four year liberal arts University is seeking applications for Director of Residence Life. A master’s degree in a related field with Residence Life experience is required. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, who is motivated, creative, reliable, and passionate about student engagement and success. Dedication and proven ability to handle crisis and emergency situations is necessary. This person reports to the Vice President for Student Affairs and has supervisory responsibilities for the entire Residence Life staff and the campus while on duty.
Start date: Early January, 2018
The Director of Residence Life is responsible for overall development and administration of a supportive learning environment within an assigned residential community.
- Responsible for the overall development and management of assigned residential community (850 students).
- Supervise Village Coordinators (live-in staff) and Resident Assistants.
- Recruit, select, train, supervise and evaluate student staff, which includes Village Coordinators and Resident Assistants.
- Develop a supportive multi-cultural environment through community programming and contact with students and staff.
- Assess departmental programming and retention efforts.
- Counsel, advise, and make referrals to residential students as appropriate and follow up to ensure satisfactory resolution.
- Oversee community policy education and enforcement initiatives.
- Perform other duties consistent with the purpose of the position as assigned.
- Establish and maintain communication with supervisors and Counseling Center concerning students of concern.
- Respond through personal contact with students, parents, faculty, administrators, and other stakeholders to resolve issues, answer questions, and clarify policy.
- Serve as a 24 hour on-call resource to University staff and on-duty personnel.
- Maintain a visible presence in the residence halls as a live-in professional and engage in positive, professional interactions with students after business hours to promote community development.
- Serve as a hearing officer to effectively resolve cases of student misconduct within an educational and developmental framework.
Minimum Qualifications: Master's Degree in Student Personnel or related area from an appropriately accredited institution.
- Master's Degree in College Student Personnel Administration, Higher Education, or closely related field.
- 3-5 years of housing experience in a university setting.
- Experience supervising professional staff.
- Experience working closely with students from diverse backgrounds in a higher education setting.
- 1 year of post-master's professional experience.
- Experience working at a small, private institution.
Located on a 300-acre campus astride the Norfolk/Virginia Beach boundary, the University is in one of the nation’s most desirable living environments. For more information about Virginia Wesleyan University, please visit our Web site at www.vwu.edu.
Please submit a cover letter, a resume, and contact information for at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
VWU is an equal opportunity employer; the University offers employment, advancement opportunities, and benefits in a harassment-free environment on the basis or merit, qualifications and competency to all individual without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, national origin, handicap, sexual orientation or covered veteran status. Please visit our website at www.vwu.edu.