Virginia Wesleyan University is offering a $500 signing bonus to new Security Officers with $250 payable after 60 days, and $250 payable after 120 days. The position offers a generous benefits package for full-time employees that includes tuition reimbursement after 1 year of employment. Health, dental, vision, and life insurance are available on the first of the month after hire date. Full-time positions available for all shifts, with a $1.00 shift differential paid for the 11 pm - 7 am shift.
Please Note: All Virginia Wesleyan University employees, including primary contract services, are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and booster. A copy of an individual's vaccination card or certificate will be required upon employment.
Security Officers provide assistance by patrolling the campus grounds, buildings and parking lots to ensure the welfare, security and safety of faculty, staff, students and visitors. Additionally, officers provide traffic control, parking enforcement and gatehouse duties.
Duties and responsibilities
- Enforce all federal, state, and campus laws and regulations.
- Patrol all areas of campus observing persons and property for the purpose of preventing criminal acts and unusual situations that make students, faculty, staff and visitors vulnerable to crime.
- Enforce campus parking and traffic regulations.
- Investigate crimes, accidents and complaints and prepare incident and accident reports.
- Perform gatehouse duties including greeting arrivals in a professional and courteous manner; maintain a log of officers’ actions to include locations of officers at all times; and monitor the LiveSafe system.
- Provide first aid to injured or sick persons and arrange for necessary transportation through EMS.
- Remain up to date with all policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Driver’s License with driving record applicable to VWU guidelines
- Certified in First Aid, CPR and operation of the AED
- Ability to walk continually during an extended period of time
- Ability to physically react to an emergency situation
- Telecommunication and computer skills
- 1 to 3 years’ experience as a military or security officer or municipal or private police experience in an institutional setting is preferred
- Professional and courteous with an emphasis on customer service
Interested candidates may apply by submitting a resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Virginia Wesleyan University
Virginia Wesleyan University is Coastal Virginia's premier university of the liberal arts and sciences. Situated on a 300-acre park-like campus in Virginia Beach, the University annually enrolls approximately 1,600 students in undergraduate, graduate, and online programs. Undergraduate degrees include a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Social Work with 42 majors, 32 minors, and 19 pre-professional tracks. Graduate degrees include a Master of Business Administration and Master of Arts in Education. Students thrive in average class sizes of 14 and through the University's experiential learning, high-impact leadership, and career-development programs. An inclusive community dedicated to scholarship and service grounded in the liberal arts and sciences, Virginia Wesleyan University inspires students to build meaningful lives through engagement in Coastal Virginia's dynamic metropolitan region, the nation, and the world.
Virginia Wesleyan is a university with a coastal edge. Located in Virginia Beach, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Chesapeake Bay, our region is proud of its vibrant city life, sandy beaches, and rich history. Learn more at visitvirginiabeach.com/
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Virginia Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered on the basis of skills, experience, and qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, creed, gender, national and ethnic origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, the presence of non-job-related medical disability, or any other legally protected status.