Assistant Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Relations
Please Note: All Virginia Wesleyan University employees, including primary contract services, are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. A copy of an individual's vaccination card or certificate will be required upon employment.
This position provides management, direction, and execution for planning, designing, coordinating, implementing, and evaluating all elements of the University’s Annual Giving Program (The Excellence Fund), including Outreach Call Center, direct mail, electronic solicitations and other appeals. The primary goals are to increase annual unrestricted gifts, to increase level of current operating support via giving from all constituencies, and to increase the percentage of alumni who contribute to the University.
Duties and responsibilities
The Excellence Fund
- Formulates strategic and tactical Excellence Fund Outreach Call Center, direct mail, and electronic appeal plans targeted toward (but not limited to) alumni, parents, faculty and staff, friends, local businesses and other organizations, and students; organizes and supervises calling segments and other appeals as assigned in support of athletics.
- Develops and evaluates the direct mail and outreach calling solicitation components of annual campaign fundraising (The Excellence Fund).
- Assists Associate Vice President for Advancement and Executive Director of Alumni Relations with developing Annual Fund timeline and implementation, including statistical support, fund-appeal logistics, and evaluation.
- Updates and provides weekly and monthly reports related to outreach calling tracking and direct mail solicitations.
- Provides monthly “snapshot” summary of The Excellence Fund progress.
- Manages and adheres to the direct mail and outreach calling portion of the annual giving budget.
- Assists in coordinating, planning and directing activities and events associated with annual giving including Faculty-Staff Campaign recognition and appreciation, Senior Giving, and an annual Day of Giving.
- Manages, documents, and reports on the Diploma Campaign for alumni, benefiting The Excellence Fund.
- Serves as administrator for alumni Facebook page and designer for alumni and advancement electronic communications, including other social media platforms.
- Develops and maintains Honor Roll of donors for prospect review.
- Manages data integrity, maintains accuracy of data, and maximizes the usability of the data to include importing from external sources.
- Advancement representative for Constant Contact and for texting platform, Mongoose.
- Works closely with the Office of Finance and Administration with creating new gift accounts and to insure proper setup of faculty / staff codes.
Outreach Call Center
- Supervises, organizes, trains, and motivates Outreach Specialists who provide alumni, parent and friend outreach calling on behalf of The Excellence Fund.
- Maintains detailed and accurate tracking stats of outreach calling to evaluate progress toward goals.
- Adheres to Center for Advancement best business practices, ethical guidelines, and financial procedures.
- Increases alumni participation of giving to The Excellence Fund by developing strategies and meeting annual established goals.
- Assists the Associate Vice President for Advancement and Executive Director of Alumni Relations in executing an effective Alumni Outreach program including innovative ways of reaching and cultivating alumni relationships.
- Creation of bi-monthly alumni email newsletter and Wesleyan Review newsletters with content reviewed by Associate Vice President for Advancement and Executive Director of Alumni Relations.
- Manage Wesleyan Wednesday schedule and topics in consultation with Associate Vice President for Advancement and Executive Director of Alumni Relations and Vice President for Advancement.
- Assists Associate Vice President for Advancement and Executive Director of Alumni Relations with developing Alumni Office events timeline and implementation of outreach events.
- Assists the Associate Vice President for Advancement and Executive Director of Alumni Relations in providing support and guidance to the Alumni Council, its meetings and activities.
- Assists Associate Vice President for Advancement and Executive Director of Alumni Relations in coordinating alumni events, provide support and guidance to the meetings of Alumni Council, and internal and external special events/gatherings in support of alumni and friends’ engagement with and giving to the University.
Education- Bachelor’s Degree required.
Experience: 1-3 years of fundraising, telemarketing, and/or direct-mail experience, preferably in a higher education or non-profit setting.
Office student workers and volunteers assigned to Center for Advancement; Outreach Specialists assigned to campus Call Service Center who provide alumni, parent and friend outreach on behalf of The Excellence Fund.
Interested candidates may apply by submitting a resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Virginia Wesleyan University
Virginia Wesleyan University is Coastal Virginia's premier university of the liberal arts and sciences. Situated on a 300-acre park-like campus in Virginia Beach, the University annually enrolls approximately 1,600 students in undergraduate, graduate, and online programs. Undergraduate degrees include a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Social Work with 36 majors, 30 minors, and 12 pre-professional tracks. Graduate degrees include a Master of Business Administration and Master of Arts in Education. Students thrive in average class sizes of 14 and through the University's experiential learning, high-impact leadership, and career-development programs. An inclusive community dedicated to scholarship and service grounded in the liberal arts and sciences, Virginia Wesleyan University inspires students to build meaningful lives through engagement in Coastal Virginia's dynamic metropolitan region, the nation, and the world.
Virginia Wesleyan is a university with a coastal edge. Located in Virginia Beach, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Chesapeake Bay, our region is proud of its vibrant city life, sandy beaches, and rich history. Learn more at visitvirginiabeach.com/explore.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Virginia Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered on the basis of skills, experience, and qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, creed, gender, national and ethnic origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, the presence of non-job-related medical disability, or any other legally protected status.