Virginia Wesleyan University (www.vwu.edu), located in Virginia Beach, Virginia, invites applications for the position of Purchasing Manager. Reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Administration, the manager is a hands-on position that provides support for operational, administrative and academic procurement activities of the University by locating sources of quality goods and services, negotiation of favorable terms and pricing, monitoring vendor compliance, timely delivery and resolution of discrepancies. The Manager will also oversee the operations of the University’s Duplication and Postal Services and the Scribner University Store.
- Assist faculty and staff in facilitating the procurement of goods and services, seeking quality goods and services while negotiating or obtaining favorable pricing and/or terms, while remaining within the means of departmental budgets. Secure proper administrative approvals for purchases.
- Initiate formal bidding for goods and services when appropriate.
- Prepare purchase orders. Maintain purchasing information, files and records within the University’s ERP. Reconcile open encumbrances with the general ledger. Oversee receiving function for items ordered.
- Work closely with Accounts Payable to ensure accurate and prompt payment of invoices.
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships, selecting appropriate vendors based on values and ethics, and to promote collaboration and long-standing partnerships for the University.
- Maintain and develop employee purchasing and travel policies. Proactively communicate and train faculty and staff on purchasing and travel policies, systems and procedures to all University constituents.
- Manage travel processes for faculty, staff and selected University guests. This entails purchasing airline tickets, payment for conferences and making hotel arrangements via University credit card, etc., culminating in final reconciliation of related travel costs.
- Administer car rentals for faculty and staff.
- Oversee the operation of Duplication and Postal Services and Scribner University Store. Supervise the managers of both operations, advise them on policy and procedures and assist with customer complaint resolution when escalated.
Skills, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business or equivalent experience as a manager in a business operation.
- Minimum of between 3 to 5 years of procurement experience, higher education experience preferred.
- Computer skills requiring proficiency in MS Office.
- Experience in ERP system, Ellucian Colleague preferred, but not required.
- Superior communication and customer service skills. Ability to work collegially and collaboratively while following and enforcing University policies and procedures.
- Highly organized, with and ability to think outside of the box.
Deadline to Apply:
This position is open until filled.
Letters of interest and resume, including contact information for three references, should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Virginia Wesleyan University
Virginia Wesleyan University is Coastal Virginia's premier university of the liberal arts and sciences. Situated on a 300-acre park-like campus in Virginia Beach, the University annually enrolls approximately 1,600 students in undergraduate, graduate, and online programs. Undergraduate degrees include a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Social Work with 36 majors, 30 minors, and 12 pre-professional tracks. Graduate degrees include a Master of Business Administration and Master of Arts in Education. Students thrive in average class sizes of 14 and through the University's experiential learning, high-impact leadership, and career-development programs. An inclusive community dedicated to scholarship and service grounded in the liberal arts and sciences, Virginia Wesleyan University inspires students to build meaningful lives through engagement in Coastal Virginia's dynamic metropolitan region, the nation, and the world.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Virginia Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered on the basis of skills, experience, and qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, creed, gender, national and ethnic origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, the presence of non-job-related medical disability, or any other legally protected status.