Administrative Assistant to the Vice President for Advancement
Please Note: All Virginia Wesleyan University employees, including primary contract services, are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. A copy of an individual's vaccination card or certificate will be required upon employment.
This position will provide essential administrative, logistical and gift-administration support to the Vice President, major gift officers, and the Advancement division. The Assistant to the Vice President provides active assistance with correspondence and communication with other campus offices and departments, alumni, friends, and donors; coordinates meetings; processes and manages all department expenses; manages the Advancement budget; processes and routes the daily mail; and supports Advancement and alumni events with preparation and execution as needed. The position works closely with the Office of the President in the implementation of all activities involving Trustees, donors, community leaders, and key constituent groups.
Duties and responsibilities
- Assists with all departmental special projects and events as requested.
- Provides administrative support to the Vice President, major gift officers, and the Office of the President (as needed) including maintaining calendar by taking and routing messages, coordinating, scheduling, and confirming meetings, events, and appointments while also creating and organizing presentations, proposals, and/or other materials for such occasions, as needed.
- Performs complex and confidential secretarial/administrative functions including composing written correspondence, creating reports, preserving records, and managing and preparing other documents.
- Provides daily budget oversight for Center for Advancement.
- Serves as a liaison between the Human Resources department and Advancement (orientation of new Advancement staff, work study students).
- Performs various essential administrative needs including filing, faxing, typing, copying, routing of communications, memo composition, preparation of folders and presentations, and other duties as assigned.
- Open mail containing monetary gifts, verify information, date stamp, and prep for daily cash log.
- Receive monetary gifts from walk-ins, verify information and amounts, and provide a written receipt (as needed).
- Manage and allocate TowneBank credit card usage for Advancement staff.
- Create check requests for Advancement expenses.
- Work with the Director of Purchasing for special online orders.
- Track and order office supplies for Advancement and bulk stationery supplies for office use and mass mailings.
- Assist MGOs in cleaning data for mass mailings, merging into the necessary format and printing for mass mailing.
- Create condolence cards for President to sign, as needed.
- Perform miscellaneous, job-related duties as assigned and required.
Coordinator of Gift Processing
- Post cash, checks, credit cards, stock gifts, and matching gifts to the general ledger.
- Generate daily financial reports – CVRP, AGLR and CABD and save on P drive.
- Post In-Kind gifts, provide copy to Office of Finance, save to P drive.
- Deliver reports and cash to the Office of Finance for signature of receipt.
- Deliver upon receipt gifts of $10,000+ to the Office of Finance.
- Capture and verify all relevant details of donors to include updated address, phone, email and work information if it has changed.
- Process incoming credit card payments and recurring credit card payments via saved payment information.
- Execute refunds for credit card payments through TouchNet.
- Create acknowledgement letters for the President and major gift officers’ signatures to include receipts (as appropriate).
- Establish payroll deductions and processes monthly payments in accordance with guidelines set by payroll manager.
- Enter new payroll deduction pledges.
- Review cash log each day and work with Coordinator of Prospect Research to make necessary adjustments and updates based on donor gifts.
- Post pledges for Call Center and copy for donor files.
- Download pledge reminder data for MGO review.
- Mail monthly pledge reminders and confer with MGOs regarding pledge payment scheduled for multi-year pledges.
- Mail end-of-year tax statements to donors with giving of $250 or more.
Education: High school, college or technical training preferred.
Experience: Five years of office experience, preferably in a higher-education environment. Event experience preferred.
- Must have proficiency with computer and numerous software packages, including spreadsheets, databases, and presentation software
- Excellent organization and time-management skills
- Budget-management and financial-processing skills
- Strong written and oral communication and proofreading skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects with varying timelines simultaneously
- Ability to anticipate and serve needs of gift officers as well as internal and external clients of Advancement
- Ability to operate general office equipment, filing system, and records preservation system
Interested candidates may apply by submitting a resume via email to: email@example.com.
About Virginia Wesleyan University
Virginia Wesleyan University is Coastal Virginia's premier university of the liberal arts and sciences. Situated on a 300-acre park-like campus in Virginia Beach, the University annually enrolls approximately 1,600 students in undergraduate, graduate, and online programs. Undergraduate degrees include a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Social Work with 36 majors, 30 minors, and 12 pre-professional tracks. Graduate degrees include a Master of Business Administration and Master of Arts in Education. Students thrive in average class sizes of 14 and through the University's experiential learning, high-impact leadership, and career-development programs. An inclusive community dedicated to scholarship and service grounded in the liberal arts and sciences, Virginia Wesleyan University inspires students to build meaningful lives through engagement in Coastal Virginia's dynamic metropolitan region, the nation, and the world.
Virginia Wesleyan is a university with a coastal edge. Located in Virginia Beach, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Chesapeake Bay, our region is proud of its vibrant city life, sandy beaches, and rich history. Learn more at visitvirginiabeach.com/explore.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Virginia Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered on the basis of skills, experience, and qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, creed, gender, national and ethnic origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, the presence of non-job-related medical disability, or any other legally protected status.