Executive Director of Marketing and Communications
The Executive Director of Marketing and Communications oversees Virginia Wesleyan University’s marketing and communications initiatives, coordinating a variety of platforms to distinguish the University in the higher education marketplace and effectively communicate the VWU story to key constituencies, including prospective and current students, alumni, donors and friends, faculty and staff, the broader public, and the media.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the Office of Marketing and Communications, providing leadership and direction for staff and projects
- Develop and implement annual marketing plan/strategies to increase the visibility of the University focusing specific attention on those markets most important to Wesleyan for brand identity, student recruitment, and philanthropic potential
- Oversee the content and design for the University’s website and social media platforms
- Identify and develop news and feature stories and market them to media outlets focusing on demographics most important to Wesleyan for student recruitment, philanthropic potential, and positive brand identity to distinguish VWU in the marketplace
- Research and write content for VWU website, Virginia Wesleyan University Magazine, and major publications needed by the Center for Enrollment Services, the Center for Advancement, the Office of the President, and other campus offices and departments
- Provide consultation and guidance for offices across campus for appropriate writing and design for production of their publication needs in order to ensure that Wesleyan’s message and identity is consistently portrayed
- Reinforce and revise (as needed) strategic communications plan/s and brand and style guidelines to promote effectiveness and consistency in visual identity and message
- Serve on relative committees to include (but not limited to) the Campus Emergency Response Team and Leadership Council
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred, preferably in marketing, communications, or journalism
- Five to seven years progressive experience in marketing and communications, journalism or related field, management experience preferred
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, grammar skills and strong knowledge of Associated Press style
- Broad-based understanding of the communications field, including owned, paid, earned and shared media opportunities; publishing, printing and production; design and photography, and more
- Ability to prioritize complex and competing communications needs and make prompt and informed decisions about best communications practices and messaging
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, function well under tight deadlines, have good interpersonal skills, and lead a creative team while fielding requests from various constituencies
- Branding and Design Manager
- Content and Media Manager
Interested candidates may apply by submitting a resume via email to: email@example.com.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Virginia Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered on the basis of skills, experience, and qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, creed, gender, national and ethnic origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, the presence of non-job-related medical disability, or any other legally protected status.