If you don't find the answer to your questions here, please contact the Enrollment Office at 757.455.3208 and we will be happy to help! Congratulations on becoming a MARLIN!


When do I meet my advisor?
During our Marlin Days Orientation Program in August, you will meet with your First Year Experience (FYE) instructor. As an entering freshman, you will be assigned to a faculty advisor who is trained to provide guidance from a multi-disciplinary approach and who will also serve as your First Year Experience instructor. If you are a transfer student with interest in a particular major, you will be assigned to an advisor closely aligned with that discipline. Advisors will have access to student records so you can discuss the specifics of your schedule.

When do I create my class schedule?                                                                      
You will meet with your advisor during New Student Orientation to create a class schedule and register for classes. You will have the opportunity to change, add, or drop classes during Marlin Days (in August prior to the fall semester) through the add/drop period the first week of classes.

How do I find out which textbooks I need to purchase?

  • Click on the University Store link here
  • Click on the tab “Textbooks” on the left
  • Click on “Find Textbooks” to search for a book by term and department, or on “Fall 2018 Booklist” to get to a list in pdf format
  • For the list in pdf format, find the department heading and course number for which you are registered, and the assigned text will be displayed next to the course by author and title.

If you are having difficulty, please contact the University Store at 757.455.3100 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. EST.

What if there are no required books for my class(es)?
If no books appear on your required/recommended textbook page, it is possible that the instructor hasn't updated the required textbook list. You can either email the instructor or wait until the first day of class. The syllabus will note any required reading materials.


Did VWU receive my final high school transcript?
Students will be notified (typically by email) if we have not received your final transcript. Failure to supply a final high school transcript may result in a hold placed on your account, limiting your ability to register for the next term.

Will I receive college credit for AP/IB/Cambridge/dual-enrollment credits from high school?
Credits for Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, University of Cambridge units, and dual-enrollment courses are welcome at VWU. Virginia Wesleyan grants course credit for Advanced Placement Exams of the College Entrance Examination Board and for Higher Level examinations in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. Specific score requirements needed for course credit are available on pages 31 and 32 in the academic catalog.


Can I get a refund of my enrollment deposit?
Freshman enrollment deposits are refundable until May 1.

Living on Campus

Can I have a car on campus?
Freshmen are permitted to have cars on campus. The fee for a parking decal is $100 and will be charged to your student account. You will need to register your car on WebAdvisor prior to picking up your decal in the Campus Security Office.

When will I be issued my student ID card and have access to email?
Freshmen will receive their VWU ID cards at New Student Orientation in June. Please be sure to upload your photo in advance through your online enrollment account. If you are unable to upload your photo, you may have your picture taken in the Campus Security Office located in Bray Village during Orientation. Once freshmen pay their deposit, they will receive an enrollment letter that includes their VWU email address, username, and password combination to log in to their online enrollment site, Portal, WebAdvisor, and email.

When will I receive my housing and roommate assignment?
All freshmen resident students will register for housing through StarRez (an online housing preference portal). After New Student Orientation has taken place, you will receive instructions from Residence Life on how to utilize StarRez. Your assignment and roommate information will be available in August.

How do I request a roommate?
Incoming students will have the option to request a roommate in StarRez. In order to be placed with the requested roommate, that person must also request you. The Office of Residence Life will make every attempt to accommodate your request; however, housing availability may affect placement.

What about a room to myself?
Single rooms are in high demand, and satisfying the needs of every student is a very difficult task. Single rooms are assigned by seniority, meaning that seniors, juniors, and sophomores will be given priority for single rooms. However, some first-year students may get assigned singles when and if they are available, specifically in the Bray Village area.

What should I bring to campus with me?
Our Residence Life staff has created a list: “What to Bring, What Not to Bring.” Check it out!

I’m bored…What is there to do?
Bored?!?!?!? Yeah right! There is soooo much to get involved with here at VWU! We have, on average, over 50 student clubs and organizations to choose from, so there is always something interesting to do. From concerts, comedians, Habitat for Humanity, intramurals, outdoor adventures like a spring break trip to the Florida Keys, to rock climbing on campus, swim lessons in the pool, and much, much more, you are sure to find plenty to keep you busy. Visit the Student ActivitiesRecX, and Marlin Ministries websites to learn more!

What type of campus security is offered at VWU?  
Virginia Wesleyan believes that a safe, secure environment is essential to learning and to the peace of mind of our students, their parents, and our faculty. For this reason, we employ a staff of full-time security officers available 24/7 to assist our campus community. A security officer is stationed at the DeFord Gatehouse, the University’s only vehicular entrance, at all times throughout the year. A team of Campus Security officers patrols the campus by foot, bicycle, and vehicle 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our security staff maintains a friendly and supportive relationship with state and local law enforcement that assist us if the need arises. The result is a campus that is as secure as possible while allowing students the freedom to fully enjoy the campus and the Virginia Beach area. Security officers can also assist students with such services as jump-starting a dead battery, after-hours escort, and providing parking decals and VWU ID cards. Learn more about Campus Security by visiting their website.

Does VWU have an emergency communication system?
Virginia Wesleyan utilizes the LiveSafe mobile app to communicate directly with students, faculty, and staff in the event of an emergency. This voluntary app also allows members of the VWU community to report safety concerns directly to our Campus Security team.

To begin using LiveSafe:

  • Find and install “LiveSafe” from your iOS or Android app store
  • Select Virginia Wesleyan University as your local agency
  • Enter your profile information and VWU email address
  • Activate push notifications when prompted.

How do I report troubles with my fixtures, plumbing, and lighting or communication equipment in my room? 
All work order requests should be reported through our WebAdvisor system. Once you have logged into the system, you will see the link “VWU Physical Plant Work Order” in the top right corner. Click on the link to submit the repair that is needed. Our Physical Plant staff will attend to the repair in a professional and timely manner. Should your repair be an emergency, please contact our Security Gate immediately at 757.455.3289.


I can’t log in to my email or WebAdvisor. Who do I contact?
Contact our Information Technology Services Help Desk at 757.455.3111.

Does VWU have specific requirements for my laptop or desktop computer?
Please visit the Information Technology Services web page to review computer requirements. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Help Desk at 757.455.3111.

I need help with my computer. Who do I contact?
For technical assistance, please contact the Information Technology Services Help Desk at 757.455.3111.

My computer is so slow! I want a new one! Does VWU have any specials on computers?
Virginia Wesleyan is proud to offer you special pricing and service on computers through our partnership with Dell Computers. You may purchase from a selection of laptops. They are covered by a 4-year limited warranty plus 4 year on-site service and complete care. Virginia Wesleyan is an authorized Dell repair center, most repairs can be done on campus, and all repair work and replacement parts are free. Why not have a look?

What if I already have my own computer, or what if I don't like Dell?
We hope that you'll take advantage of the special deals that Dell offers to you, but if you already own a computer or you want to buy something else, you may do so. However, our ability to provide support and service is diminished, and we cannot guarantee that what you get will work well on our campus network. The Information Technology Services staff is specially authorized to work on Dell computers: if you run into a problem on a non-Dell computer, we will do our best to help you with it (labor is free) but we can't guarantee ready availability of replacement parts or software.

I’m A MAC fan….Will it work on campus?
Macs will connect to our campus network, but you should have Mac OS X or later. We’d also recommend having a G4 or faster processor (all iMacs and iBooks are fine in this respect).

Does VWU offer wireless Internet access?
Yes. VWU offers wireless access in all academic buildings, the Jane P. Batten Student Center, and all resident halls.