Ch. 33- Post 9/11 GI Bill®

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

The Post 9-11 GI Bill® will provide eligible individuals:

  • Tuition & fees directly to the school for all public school in-state students
  • Tuition and fees paid upfront by the academic year cap. are capped  The 2013-2014 academic year cap is $19,198.31. Post 9/11 benefits assisted with the Yellow Ribbon Program will cover the remaining amount of tuition and fees.
  • A monthly housing allowance (MHA) based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school.  **Note Active duty students & their spouses cannot receive the MHA**
  • An annual books & supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.
  • Up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.
  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill® also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill® to dependents

Transfer of Benefits


An individual approved to transfer an entitlement to educational assistance under this section may transfer the individual's entitlement to:

  • The service member's spouse.
  • One or more of the service member's children.
  • Any combination of spouse and child.
  • A family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) and be eligible for benefits, at the time of transfer to receive transferred educational benefits.

What you should know when transferring benefits:

An eligible Service member may transfer up to the total months of unused Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits, or the entire 36 months if the member has used none (unless DoD/DHS limits the number of months an individual may transfer).
Family member's use of transferred educational benefits is subject to the following:


  • May start to use the benefit immediately.
  • May use the benefit while the member remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from active duty.
  • Is not eligible for the monthly stipend or books and supplies stipend while the member is serving on active duty.
  • Can use the benefit for up to 15 years after the service member's last separation form active duty.


  • May start to use the benefit only after the individual making the transfer has completed at least 10 years of service in the Armed Forces.
  • May use the benefit while the eligible individual remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from active duty.
  • May not use the benefit until he/she has attained a secondary school diploma (or equivalency certificate), or reached 18 years of age.
  • Is entitled to the monthly stipend and books and supplies stipend even though the eligible individual is on active duty.
  • Is not subject to the 15-year delimiting date, but may not use the benefit after reaching 26 years of age.

How To Apply For TEB
1. The service member must go to the Official DoD transferability application website to determine if the dependents are eligible to receive the transferred benefits. Please note: This website is only available to military members using Internet Explorer.

2. Upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with VA by completing VA Form 22-1990e (VONAPP)… Click Here - To access the paper version of VA-Form 22-1990e. **Note: VA Form 22-1990e should only be completed and submitted to VA by the family member after the DoD has approved the request for TEB. Do not use VA Form 22-1990e to apply for TEB. **


For more information about transferring education benefits, please visit the VA's Transfer Education Benefits Webpage.