Semester Study Away
Semester abroad Global Scholars applications for fall 2018 are due on
Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 3:00 pm.
Virginia Wesleyan University offers students a semester study abroad experience with a wide variety of programs from around the globe. At Virginia Wesleyan, semester study abroad is a competitive program. Selected students become the University’s Global Scholars.
Semester study abroad through Virginia Wesleyan’s Global Scholars Program (GSP) is open to students in all majors. It is available during the fall and spring semesters.
To be eligible for semester study abroad, candidates must meet the following:
- Enrolled at Virginia Wesleyan University
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- At the time of application, must have earned between 45 and 85 credits
- Will return to Virginia Wesleyan University for at least one full fall or spring semester after the study abroad semester
Applying for Semester Study Abroad
To apply for semester study abroad through Virginia Wesleyan University’s Global Scholars Program (GSP), applicants submit the Global Scholars Application that includes the following required documents:
- An official Virginia Wesleyan transcript, uploaded to the application
- Two letters of recommendation from full-time Virginia Wesleyan faculty
- Copy of applicant’s passport, uploaded to the application
- Pathway to See Change essay, uploaded to the application. The essay should explain your pathway to a semester abroad. Consider why you are interested in studying abroad; what you have done in your life to prepare to study abroad; why you are interested in studying at this particular institution and in this country and city; how you expect study abroad will affect you academically, professionally, and personally; and why you would be a good ambassador for Virginia Wesleyan. The Pathway Essay should be single spaced, 12-point font, and no longer than 3 pages.
Study Abroad Costs
Students selected to study abroad pay only Virginia Wesleyan’s full-time tuition, fees, and room & board at the lowest rate. Through its Global Scholars Program (GSP), Virginia Wesleyan University covers students’ tuition, fees, and room & board at the host institution. In addition, the GSP pays for airfare to the host institution, visa fees, some excursions, and a pre-paid $500 MasterCard to be used for travel and other expenses while abroad.
Students should budget approximately $1,500 to $2,000 for personal expenses, depending on the cost of living in the host country and the amount of travel undertaken.
Preparing for a Semester of Study Away
Study away requires good preparation. Begin to plan at least 12-18 months before departure. As you plan, be sure to consult with your academic advisor(s) and the Lighthouse’s Study Away Program Director, Ms. Mandy Reinig (email@example.com). You may make an appointment with her using our online scheduler or come to her Study Away Open Advising hours (Tuesdays, 2:30-4:00 p.m. and Wednesdays, 9:30-11:00 a.m.).
For more information on preparing to study away for a semester or a year, consult our Pathway to Study Away Student Handout. It provides a step-by-step guide to semester study abroad.
For information on the required application materials for Global Scholars semester study abroad, see our Semester Study Away Application Guide.