Admission to the Batten Honors College is highly selective. Consideration will be given only to applicants for fall freshmen admission with the following qualifications:
A high school grade point average equal to or greater than 3.5 in combination with either:
- An ACT score equal to or greater than 27
- An SAT score equal to or greater than 1300 (test taken March 2016 and later)
How to Apply
The Batten Honors College application process requires submission of the following:
- Application for admission to Virginia Wesleyan University. Visit www.vwu.edu/applynow to begin the VWU admission process.
Note: no action will be taken regarding your Batten Honors College application prior to your admission to Virginia Wesleyan.
- Batten Honors College application which includes a short answer question and an essay.
- Visit http://www.vwu.edu/applyBHC for the application.
- A letter of recommendation. The letter can be from anyone who you feel knows you well and can speak to your accomplishments in high school and your potential in college. Examples of who you can ask for a letter of recommendation include: a guidance/college counselor; a teacher; a coach; a job or extracurricular activity supervisor; a religious official. Unless forwarded with your high school transcript, letters of recommendation must be emailed by the author directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Batten Honors College Admission Committee will review applications to determine which applicants will be invited to campus to compete for a seat in the Honors College and one of the two available types of scholarships awarded.
Students will be invited to come to campus for a multi-day event that will include a one-on-one interview with a professor, a group interview with the admission committee, and the opportunity to sit in on a class.
The dates for the competition are November 8-10 and February 7-9. If a student is invited to compete prior to November 8-10, he/she will be given the choice to attend either date.
October 1 - Priority Deadline
January 6 - Final Deadline
Students who have submitted an application to the Batten Honors College by the Priority deadline of October 1 will be notified on October 5 if they have been selected to participate in a competition event.
Students who apply after the Priority deadline will be notified within two weeks of submitting their application if they have been selected to attend a competition event.
Submission of the Batten Honors College application is required by the final deadline of January 6, 2018. Applications submitted after January 6 will be considered on a space-available basis. Students who apply by the final deadline will be notified by January 11 if they have been invited to compete.