2016-2017 Marlin Scholar Spotlights
Sarah Antozzi '17
Hometown: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Major/s: Comprehensive Liberal Studies (focusing on foreign languages and linguistics)
Sarah says: "The Honors & Scholars Program has provided a structure within which I could embark on in-depth projects in my honors courses, sometimes because I challenged a course for honors credit. It has also been a nice way to meet and spend time with students whose attitudes about learning are similar to mine."
- Copyediting at the Virginian-Pilot newspaper, Norfolk, Virginia
- A comparison of European Starling and House Sparrow birdbath behavior (spring 2015)
- Equality via language: How the French revolutionary government used language as an ideological tool (spring 2016)
- Marlin Chronicle (copy editor; writer; news editor; spring 2017 editor-in-chief)
- Marlin Ministries (Cru, Life Groups)
- Society for Collegiate Journalists
- Learning Center tutor, French and Journalism
Alex McComb '17
Hometown: Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
Major/s: Political Science
Alex says: "To me, being a part of the Honors and Scholars means investing in oneself and a commitment to personal integrity to one's ideals and goals."
Fellowships, Internships, and Study Away:
- Norfolk NATO Fest Internship
- National Model United Nations
- Study Away Fall 2016 in Aix-en-Provence
- "The Preservation of the Yungang Grottoes and Mount Wutai" (Working Title)
A group of six students and two faculty traveled to China for three weeks this past summer to film for the purpose of producing a documentary on the Yungang Grottoes and Mount Wutai World Heritage Sites. The focus is on what factors are affecting the wellbeing of the sites and how they are being preserved.
- "Sex Education in Public Schools and Crime Rates"
My partner, Kevin Wolf, and I attempted to determine if there was a statistically significant correlation between sex education mandates and crime rates by state.
- "The Unconventional Leadership of Pope Francis"
Under the guidance of Dr. Aubrey Westfall and Colonel Imre Porkolab, I conducted comprehensive research on the unconventional leadership techniques and practices of Pope Francis for the purpose of publication.
- Chi Beta Psi Fraternity
- Interfraternity Council
- Student Title IX Advisory Board
- Gamma Sigma Alpha
- Pi Sigma Alpha
- Omicron Delta Kappa
Liz Quamme '17
Major/s: Biology and Classical Studies (minor in Marine Science)
Liz says: "The Honors and Scholars program has provided me a very unique and fun experience at VWC. I am able to challenge myself to go above and beyond the required course work and learn so much more in the process. Being part of a community of like-minded, talented young men and women has been a phenomenal experience for me, and I have no doubts that being in the Honors and Scholars Program has helped me get the most out of my college experience."
- Study abroad session at Trinity College, Dublin.
- Study away course, Tropics in Biology in Beliz.
Undergraduate Research Project:
"Expression analysis of centrins during spermatogenesis in the model moss Physcomitrella patens"
Presented at the NSM symposium at Wesleyan and the ASB conference, which they describe as "the annual meeting of the Association of Southeastern Biologists in Concord, NC" on their site. Again, I can provide more information if necessary.
- Classics Club
- Beta Beta Beta
- Phi Eta Sigma