Study Away Course Grants
Grant Application Due Dates
Spring Session 2018
December 5, 2017 at 3:00 p.m.
Award notifications will be sent in early December 2017
Summer Session 2018
March 14, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
Award notifications will be sent in early April 2018
Through the Lighthouse, Virginia Wesleyan University offers a grant program to students to enroll in study away courses. The grants range from $250 to $1,500. The awards are available only to students who enroll in courses; awardees may not audit courses. Awards will be granted based on academic performance and financial need. First-time applicants and students enrolled in 4-credit courses will be prioritized. If funds are available, students who have received grants previously and those enrolled in 1- and 2-credit courses will be considered for the grants.
Applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Enrolled at Virginia Wesleyan University during the 2017-18 academic year
- Minimum GPA of 2.7
- Have no outstanding incompletes
- Have no academic violations
- Have no serious conduct violations
- Have filed a FAFSA (Federal Student Aid) form
Required Application Materials:
- Online application (See below.)
- A 250-word essay, uploaded as either a Word or pdf file with the application. This essay should explain your pathway to study away. Some questions you might address are: Why do you want to participate in this study away course? How will this study away experience enrich your academic, personal, professional, or civic goals? What steps have you already taken to prepare to study away? It is recommended that students seek assistance at Virginia Wesleyan’s Writing Center with the essay.
- A copy of either your passport (international travel) OR driver’s license (domestic travel) as a pdf file. Upload to application.
ALL fields are required