Batten Student Center
The Heart of Campus Life
Set at the center of campus, the Jane P. Batten Student Center is devoted to promoting health, leadership and a love for athletics. It is the site of myriad extracurricular and recreational activities and the host location of indoor varsity sports and tournaments. When you're a student at Virginia Wesleyan, you'll find yourself gravitating to its expansive facilities for recreation, to meet with friends and watch athletic events. All athletic offices, the chaplain's office, community service office, University Store, student counseling center and other vital services are housed within the Batten Student Center.
The philosophy of the Jane P. Batten Student Center
The mission of the Jane P. Batten Student Center is to create opportunities for students to learn about and participate in a vast array of extracurricular and recreational activities. We strive to foster student leadership, healthy lifestyle choices and student involvement in program planning.
The Batten Student Center has been designed for the students to be primary users, especially for leisure times, student activities, and athletic competition. The Batten Center's staff will develop an atmosphere that promotes healthy interaction between various groups using the facility. Numerous sports related programs will be developed for campus wide recreational activities, lifetime sports, clinics and workshops.
The Batten Student Center will provide a comfortable atmosphere and serve as the host site for indoor varsity sports and tournaments. Other constituent groups and programs may be hosted as long as the philosophy and purpose of the Batten Student Center is not violated at any time.
Using the Facilities
You may use the facilities in Batten Student Center if you are:
- a registered VWU student
- active faculty, staff, board of trustee member and immediate family
- retired faculty, staff and immediate family
Current students must have a valid VWU issued ID card to use the Batten Student Center.
Faculty and Staff
Faculty and staff must have a valid VWU issued ID card to use the Batten Student Center.
Children of faculty and staff: Faculty and staff cards for spouses and partners are available by paying an annual fee of $10 in the Business Office. Once the emergency contact form is completed and annual fee is paid in the Business Office, the ID will be issued in Campus Security. Children under the age of 18 do not require an ID card but must be accompanied by parent at all times while using the facility. Children over the age of 18 must pay an annual fee of $30. They may not bring guests.
A guest is an individual who is not a student, faculty or staff. Guests are allowed to use the Batten Center when accompanied by an eligible user (their host). All guests are the responsibility of the VWU host at all times. All guests must register at the HUB upon entering the building. Guests must be accompanied by the host at all times within the facility. An eligible host is one of the following:
- a full time VWU student, faculty or staff and their spouse or partner with valid ID
- No smoking or chewing tobacco is permitted in or around the Batten Student Center at any time.
- No food, drinks, or chewing gum are permitted in the Natatorium. Chewing gum and food are not allowed in the fitness area, the CMAC, the Convocation Center, the track or the aerobics room.
- All injuries are to be immediately reported to the Batten Student Center staff.
- VWU and the Batten Student Center staff are not liable for accidents or injuries due to the use of the Batten Student Center or equipment in the facility.
- No bicycles, roller blades, scooters, or skateboards are permitted in the facility. Roller blades may be used in the CMAC when appropriate.