Applying for Financial Aid
FILE THE FAFSA
Receive a $1,000 FAFSA Grant when you list VWU on your FAFSA
Completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is a key step in your college search and decision process. It allows us to provide you with a financial aid package and work with you to make VWU an affordable option. Completing the FAFSA and understanding your aid is important, and prospective students and families are invited to connect one-on-one with a financial aid counselor to learn more about the financial aid process, review your financial aid package, understand your award package, request changes to your award, and much more. Set up a virtual appointment today.
We encourage all students to visit the Financial Aid Self-Service Portal (FASS) to review, accept or decline aid, and determine whether additional information is needed to complete the process. The FASS can be accessed through MyBeacon.
Once you have received your package please contact us with any questions or to request a review for additional aid.
You must apply for financial aid each academic year.
- As soon after October 1, as possible, complete a FAFSA.
VWU's priority deadline is March 1.
- Include VWU school code (003767) to ensure we receive the results.
- Respond promptly to all requests for information or documents..
Failure to do so could result in delays, reductions, and/or cancellations of financial aid.
- Award notices are sent to students. Prospective students receive award notifications in time to make informed decisions concerning school choices.
- Accept or decline awards as soon as possible through the Financial Aid Self Service (FASS) located in MyBeacon. Grant funding is very limited, and students who fail to accept their aid in FASS in a timely fashion may lose grant funds.
- VWU Scholarships and grants can only be used toward tuition. All finalized financial aid will show on your statement as pending until after the start of classes. However, you must pay the difference between financial aid and your bill by the appropriate deadline to avoid late fees and canceled classes.
- For students who have accepted their Financial Aid on FASS and have completed all necessary applications, counselings and MPN, financial aid awards will start being disbursed to accounts during the second week of classes.
Summer Financial Aid
Awarding for summer financial aid is not automatic. Please see eligibility and requirements for summer awarding below.
Summer financial aid awarding starts in April and you must enroll for at least 6 credit hours to qualify for Direct Federal Subsidized or Unsubsidized Stafford Loan or Direct Federal PLUS Loans eligibility with a valid FAFSA on file. Most students attending part-time or who have changed a grade level may have remaining financial aid eligibility. If you are interested in summer awarding please let us know by completing a Summer Financial Aid Request Form, If you do not meet the criteria for remaining eligibility you may qualify for alternative loan financing.