Academic Renewal

Because a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) is necessary for graduation, a cumulative GPA of 2.0 (C) is required for good academic standing. One possible consequence for having a GPA below 2.0 is a student being placed on academic probation.

Academic probation is a severe warning that failure to raise the cumulative GPA to a 2.0 in the next semester after being placed on academic probation may result in suspension or dismissal from the university. Probationary status always requires students to schedule special conferences with their advisor, with an academic counselor, and, in some cases, with the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Full details on academic probation, suspension, and dismissal can be found in the Academic Catalog under the “Academic Standing: Selective Retention Policy” section.

Students placed on academic probation are required to attend a brief information meeting with the Academic Counselors at the start of the fall and spring semesters. Following that, they will be contacted by their individual Academic Counselor to schedule an appointment. During this appointment, the student’s academic record will be reviewed by the student and Academic Counselor and a plan agreed on for the current semester to improve the student’s GPA and to chart a path back to good academic standing. Additional meetings throughout the semester will be held at the discretion of the Academic Counselor and/or by request of the student.

The purpose of meeting with an Academic Counselor is to provide the student with additional support and resources for improving their GPA and not to chastise or penalize students. Academic Counselors are particularly valuable to students as they provide assessments of the student’s performance and attitudes to the Committee on Academic Standing which evaluates all students on academic probation at the end of the fall and spring semesters. This is particularly true for students who’s GPA has not yet risen above the 2.0 threshold.

Questions regarding academic probation should be directed to the student’s advisor. Questions regarding Academic Counselors should be directed to the Learning Center,