Career development is a lifelong process. Students should see career development as one of their priorities during their four years at Virginia Wesleyan University. In an effort to better serve our students, the Career Development Program (CDP) has compiled a number of tools, services and resources.
- FOCUS-2 Free online, self-guided, interactive program designed to help you to select a major and plan your career.
- What can I do with this major? - a useful tool to help you connect your major to careers and learn career areas and types of employers that hire, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate.
- Career Coaching
- Parker Dewey (Micro-Internships) – professional short term projects to build and demonstrate skills
- Handshake - The place for all things career! With Handshake, you will find part-time and full-time jobs, internships, career development resources, campus events, virtual career fairs, and valuable career resources.
- MyNext Move is an interactive tool you can use to learn more about career options. My Next Move has information about job tasks, skills, salary, and more for over 900 different careers. You can find information through keyword searches; by browsing industries; or through the O*NET Interest Profiler, a tool that offers personalized career suggestions based on your interests.
We offer one-on-one coaching to help students and alumni make career decisions, choose majors, develop career pathways, and implement career plans. We will schedule a meeting for you with a career coach who specializes in serving your particular career interests to ensure that you gain pertinent information for your needs and interests. The career coach will help you to:
- Evaluate your interests and skills.
- Choose a major.
- Review what you have accomplished and enjoy.
- Translate your liberal arts education into job skills sought by employers.
- Locate essential information related to your career interests.
- Evaluate opportunities for gaining professional experience.
- Develop practical strategies to achieve your professional goals.
Career coaching appointments may be scheduled Career Development through the appointment scheduler.