Wesleyan Engaged opened its doors in 1997 as the Office of Community Service and was funded by the Birdsong Community Service Endowment, established in 1995, under the direction of President William T. Greer, Jr.
In 2017, the Office of Community Service changed its name to Wesleyan Engaged: Center for Civic Engagement and Service Learning. In January of 2018, Wesleyan Engaged became a Presidential Volunteer Service Award Designee for the Marlin community. In February 2018, Virginia Wesleyan University joined Campus Compact as a full member.
Wesleyan Engaged nurtures partnerships with civic organizations in order to facilitate meaningful student engagement activities, to promote the growth of faculty-led service learning courses, and to improve the Hampton Roads community and beyond.
Wesleyan Engaged will elevate the importance of civic leadership and engagement in both the curriculum and student life at VWU.
- Campus Vote Project Voter Friendly Campus Designation (2023-2024)
- ALL IN Most Engaged Campus (2022)
- Carnegie Classification for Civic Engagement (2020)
- ALL IN 2020 campus democratic engagement action plan selected as one of the top plans submitted (2020)
- ALL IN Challenge Silver Seal for voter engagement (2019)
- American Red Cross College and University Blood Challenge Winner (2010)
- Volunteer Hampton Roads Outstanding Community Service Award (2008)
- President’s Honor Roll for Service (2006 & 2009)
- Volunteer Hampton Roads Outstanding Youth Service Award Circle K (2001)
- Virginia Beach Education Association Whole Village Award, VNG Pipeline to the Community (1999)