Check Your Voter Registration Information
Registered to vote? Move and need to make sure I am registered at the correct address? Please visit https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/VoterInformation to check your status.
Deadlines for Registering and Voting
The Commonwealth of Virginia has established the following deadlines in order to vote:
- Register/Update Address – Monday, October 15, 2018
- Request an Absentee Ballot by mail – Tuesday, October 30, 2018 by 5pm
- Request an Absentee Ballot by appearing in person – Saturday, November 3, 2018 by 5pm
For Marlin community members who are registered to vote outside of the Commonwealth, you can visit the U.S. Vote Foundation, select your state, and see the election deadlines.
Registering to Vote
If you wish to register to vote, please visit https://www.elections.virginia.gov/citizen-portal/index.html or you may stop by the Wesleyan Engaged Office (025 Batten) or Hofheimer Library to fill out a voter registration form. Both sites can register you to vote anywhere in Virginia.
Absentee Voting in Virginia
If you are not going to be able to get to your polling office to vote on election day, you may opt to vote by absentee ballot. For those individuals in the Commonwealth of Virginia, please visit: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/citizen-portal/index.html.
For those who are not registered to vote in the Commonwealth of Virginia, you must start your request for an absentee or vote-by-mail ballot with your state or territorial election office. Every state’s voting rules are different, including the rules for who can vote by mail and how to obtain an absentee or mail-in ballot.
- To begin, visit your state or territorial election office website and look for “Absentee Voting” or “Voting By Mail.” If you don’t see either term quickly, try using the site’s search tool.
- Your state may require you to have a valid excuse to vote absentee. Acceptable excuses vary by state. However, most include:
- Having an illness, injury, or disability that prevents you from getting to your designated polling place
- Being on business travel or vacation outside of your county or city of residence on Election Day
- Being a student at an out-of-state college or university
- This National Conference of State Legislatures table shows which states require an excuse.
- Follow your state’s instructions for requesting an absentee or vote-by-mail ballot online or by mail.