The Virginia Wesleyan University Teacher Preparation programs are accredited through a process approved by by the Virginia Board of Education (VBOE).
The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, specifically 34 CFR 668.43 (a) (5) (v) and 34 CFR 668.43 (c) require disclosures by institutions regarding educational requirements for programs leading to professional licensure or certification regardless of modality. Students and prospective students are encouraged to explore and identify the qualifications required for respective states other than Virginia. We have not made determinations for the other states. The U.S. Department of Education website has contact information for each state on their website.
In order to be eligible for the supervised internship (student teaching) and subsequent teaching licensure, candidates must pass the following professional teacher’s assessments:
- Virginia Communications and Literacy Assessment (VCLA)
- Praxis Subject Area assessment
Assessment Contact Information
- For more information on VCLA please visit www.doe.virginia.gov.
- To register for the VCLA, visit www.va.nesinc.com.
- To register for a Praxis subject assessment test, visit the Praxis website at www.ets.org/praxis.
- For additional information about Praxis please visit the ETS: Educational Testing website.
Criteria for submitting an application for an initial teaching license in Virginia
Please visit the Virginia Department of Education