The Virginia Wesleyan Honor Code and Creed
The Honor Code
Virginia Wesleyan University is committed to values of citizenship and social responsibility fundamental to a community of scholars. People who join this academic community agree to maintain academic honesty. The purpose of the Virginia Wesleyan Honor Code is to foster an environment of learning based upon trustworthiness and willingness to assume personal responsibility for honorable behavior. Acts of academic dishonesty, which include cheating, plagiarism, lying, theft, and falsifying data, are violations of the Honor Code. Once students become members of the University community and are presumed to understand the nature of such violations, they are responsible for avoiding them and for the consequences if they do not. The Honor Code, available on the University’s website, offers guidelines for academic conduct and disciplinary procedures for infractions of the code.
The Virginia Wesleyan Creed
- We accept and support the Virginia Wesleyan Honor Code;
A commitment to trustworthiness and a willingness to assume personal responsibility for honorable behavior.
- We seek experiences that enhance personal academic excellence and an integrated liberal arts perspective;
A commitment to sustained achievement in the classroom.
- We abide by and uphold the Virginia Wesleyan Community Standards;
A commitment to good campus citizenship in all undertakings.
- We value and respect diversity in all facets of our multicultural society;
A commitment to recognize and to celebrate the importance of cultural differences within our campus community and to oppose all forms of discrimination.
- We aspire to be a supportive community that respects the value of faith and religious freedom;
A commitment to cultivate spiritual sensitivity and to foster personal commitment that leads to ethical conduct.
- We respect the personal belongings of others and the property of the University;
A commitment to oppose all forms of vandalism or theft of personal and University property.
- We accept our role in protecting the environment;
A commitment to stewardship through sustainable practices.
- We embrace the importance of personal well-being;
A commitment to a healthy lifestyle in all its facets.
- We engage in the civic life and activities of our community;
- A commitment to improve the quality of life of others.