MAEd Admission Requirements
Criteria for Admission to the Teacher Education Program
BA/BS to 5th-Year MAEd in Secondary 6-12 and PreK-12 Education
The mission of the Teacher Education Program at Virginia Wesleyan University is to prepare reflective, engaged teachers of good character who will adhere to the highest standards of professionalism, and who are willing to advance the cause of education and cultivate and inspire a love of learning in their students and the communities in which they teach. To ensure that we are able to fulfill the program’s mission, students interested in secondary 6-12 or preK-12 licensure must meet the criteria described below and apply for admission to the 5th-Year MAEd in the Teacher Education Program.
MAEd application materials are available from the Teacher Education Program Administrator in the Education Department, located in Pruden 103. Students interested in pursuing initial licensure in an approved secondary 6-12 or preK-12 endorsement area are encouraged to apply as early as their social sophomore year, but no later than October 1 of their senior year.
To be admitted to the 5th-Year MAEd Program, a student must fulfill the following requirements:
- Submit passing scores on the Praxis™ Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests or SAT scores meeting the criteria for “SAT as a substitute test for Praxis™ Core”
- Achieve a cumulative GPA at VWU of at least 2.8 at the time of application
- Submit documentation of completion of the following:
- Professional Disposition Self-reflection Assessment and accompanying reflective essay (see Guidelines for Application Essay)
- If seeking endorsement in history and social sciences 6-12, complete the Virginia State and Local Civic Education module found at following link: http://www.civiceducationva.org and submit the module certificate.
Application for admission and all supporting documents should be submitted to:
Office of Enrollment Services
5817 Wesleyan Drive
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23455
Admission is rolling; decisions for the 5th-year MAEd Program will go out approximately 4-6 weeks after submission of all required application materials. If admission is granted prior to graduation from VWU, it will be conditional upon successful completion of coursework presently in progress and receipt of degree.
Beginning in 2019, candidates must pass the VCLA test and the appropriate Praxis Subject Assessment test prior to beginning the fall semester of MAEd coursework.