Credit for Prior Learning Experiences

Transfer credit is considered on the basis of an official transcript or transcripts from institutions accredited by regional accreditors. Official transcripts must be sent directly to Virginia Wesleyan University from all colleges previously attended. The results of the transfer evaluation of credit are recorded on the student’s “Transfer Evaluation Report” on Webadvisor.

A formal transfer credit evaluation is completed after admission to the University. The evaluation is completed only by the Office of the Registrar.  Transfer grades are not included in the Virginia Wesleyan University grade point average. Amount of credit is determined in terms of the appropriate number of semester credit hours. Criteria for the acceptance of transfer credit include the following:

Transfer credits are awarded for courses from colleges/universities accredited by regional accreditors and that are comparable in content and quality to those offered within the academic programs at Virginia Wesleyan University.

Additional Sources of Academic Credit

Advanced Placement

Virginia Wesleyan grants course credit for Advanced Placement Exams of the College Entrance Examination Board. Credit is not awarded for both an AP exam and an IB exam in the same subject.

Students may receive a maximum of 32 semester hours of credit for prior learning experiences.  Specific information for different types of learning experiences is below.

View the Advance Placement Guide

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Entering students may apply for credit in¬† disciplines in which they have taken CLEP examinations and achieved sufficiently high scores. Current students must receive prior approval before taking CLEP examinations for credit. They may receive credit for scores on the general examinations and on the subject examinations in areas applicable to Virginia Wesleyan’s curriculum.

View the College-Level Examination Program Guide

Community Colleges

Virginia Wesleyan University offers guaranteed admission to transfer students from Tidewater and Thomas Nelson Community Colleges upon successful completion of an associate degree or 60-64 hours. All transferable credits earned from the transfer- oriented associate degree program, not to exceed 64 credits, will be accepted and students will be granted junior status standing. A merit scholarship will be awarded, based on the cumulative GPA of all college work attempted. As courses change from time to time, it is the student's responsibility to inquire as to the transferability of courses listed and not listed in this guide. While we have made every effort to ensure that this guide is complete and accurate, errors can and do occur. Incorrect additions and/or deletions will not take the place of actual course requirements.

View the VCCS Transfer Guide

International Baccalaureate

Virginia Wesleyan grants advanced placement and/or credit for a score of 5 or higher on the Higher Level examinations in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. Additional IB courses not listed here may be reviewed as necessary. No credit is awarded for Subsidiary Level examinations. Credit is not awarded for both an IB exam and an AP exam in the same subject.

View the International Baccalaureate Guide

Military Credit

Virginia Wesleyan follows the guidelines set forth by the American Council on Education (ACE) when granting credit for educational experiences in the armed services. Veterans should submit an appropriate transcript (Joint Services, etc.). Credit awarded must be equivalent to courses offered at Virginia Wesleyan or logical extensions thereof and are subject to review by faculty in the academic field. A student may receive a maximum of 32 semester hours for military credit.

Professional Certifications

Virginia Wesleyan follows the guidelines set forth by the American Council on Education (ACE) when granting credit for professional certifications. In some cases, professional training and/or certification may earn American Council of Education (ACE) credits. Official paperwork should be submitted by the student to the Registrar’s Office for evaluation.