Lecturer in Physics and Physical Science
Ph.D Physics University of Georgia
M.S. Physics University of MA, Dartmouth
M.Sc. in Physics, TU
B.Sc. Physics, Chem & Math, TU
Dr. Basnet is a Full-Time Lecturer of Physics at Virginia Wesleyan University (VWU). He has been actively involved in both teaching and faculty service in the department. Dr. Basnet has taught Calculus-based “Introduction to Physics” I (PHYS 221), and Physics II for undergraduate physics and non-physics major students. He has also taught Honors Introductory Course (HON 1100) and now teaching PHSC 100 (Intro to Physical Science, both lectures and labs). Before coming to VWU, he was a Limited-Term Asst. Professor in the KSU Journey Honors College at Kennesaw State University (KSU). Prior to joining the faculty at KSU, he was a Postdoctoral Fellow in The Vogel Group at Georgia Institute of Technology, hosted by Professor Eric M. Vogel.
Dr. Basnet is interested in teaching fundamental principles of Physics using real-world examples in an active learning environment and studying new principles or laws of Physics that describe different physical phenomena.Dr. Basnet’s research interests lie in the area of condensed matter physics, materials science, and nanotechnology. More specifically, his research focuses on the study of fundamental properties of metal and metal oxide thin films and nano-/micro-scale devices. Dr. Basnet’s research seeks to develop more efficient and multi-functional nanomaterials and devices for environmental, energy, sensing, and resistive random-access memory (ReRAM) applications.
Postdoctoral Research - Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
- Pradip Basnet, EC Anderson, FF Athena, B Chakrabarti, MP West, E M. Vogel, "Asymmetric Resistive Switching of Bilayer HfOx/AlOy and AlOy/HfOx Memristors: The Oxide Layer Characteristics and Performance Optimization for Digital Set and Analog Reset Switching." ACS Appl. Electron. Mater. 5, 3, 1859-1865 (2023)
- FF Athena, MP West, Pradip Basnet, J Hah, Q Jiaing, W.C. Lee, E M. Vogel, "Impact of titanium doping and pulsing conditions on the analog temporal response of hafnium oxide based memristor synapses." Journal of Applied Physics 131, 204901 (2022)
- D G. Pahinkar, Pradip Basnet, M P. West, B Zivasatienraj, A Weidenbach, W. A Doolittle, E M. Vogel, S Graham, “Experimental and computational analysis of thermal environment in the operation of HfO2 memristors.” AIP Advances 10, 035127 (2020)
- Pradip Basnet, DG Pahinkar, MP West, C Perini, S Graham, E M. Vogel, “Substrate Dependent Resistive Switching in Amorphous-HfOx Memristors: An Experimental and Computational Investigation,” Journal of Materials Chemistry C 8 (15), 5092-5101 (2020)
- M P. West, Pradip Basnet, D G. Pahinkar, R Montgomery, S Graham, E M. Vogel, “Impact of the thermal environment on the analog temporal response of HfOx-based neuromorphic devices,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 116, 063504 (2020)
- D G Pahinkar, Pradip Basnet, B Zivasatienraj, A Weidenbach, M West, W. A Doolittle, E M. Vogel, S Graham “Computational Investigation of Nanoscale Memristor Devices for Neuromorphic Computing,” 18th IEEE ITherm (2019)
- B Crafton, M West, Pradip Basnet, E M. Vogel, A Raychowdhury, “Local Learning in RRAM Neural Networks with Sparse Direct Feedback Alignment,” IEEE Low Power Electronics and Design (ISLPED) (2019)
- C J. Perini, Pradip Basnet, M P. West, and E M. Vogel, “Impact of synthesized MoS2 wafer-scale quality on Fermi level pinning in vertical Schottky-barrier heterostructures,” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 10(46), 39860-39871 (2018)
Ph.D. Research - University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- Pradip Basnet, E Anderson, and Y Zhao, “Hybrid CuxO-TiO2 Nanopowders Prepared by Ball Milling for Solar Energy Conversion and Visible-light-induced Wastewater Treatment,” ACS Appl. Nano Mater.; 2 (4), 2446-2455 (2019).
- B Ai, Pradip Basnet, S L, W Ingram, Y Zhao, “Plasmonic Sensor with High Figure of Merit Based on Differential Polarization Spectra of Elliptical Nanohole Array,” Nanoscale, 9 (38), 14710-14721 (2017).
- Kun Yao, Pradip Basnet, Henry Sessions, George K Larsen, Simona Murph, and Yiping Zhao “Fe2O3-TiO2 Core-Shell Nanorod Array for Visible Light Photocatalysis.” Catalysis Today, 2015, DOI: 10.1016/j.cattod.2015.10.026.
- Pradip Basnet and Yiping Zhao,”Tuning the CuxO Nanorod Composition for Efficient Visible-light-induced Photocatalysis.”Catalysis Science & Technology, 2015, DOI: 10.1039/C5CY01464F.
- Pradip Basnet and Yiping Zhao,”Superior Dye Adsorption Capacity of Amorphous WO3 Sub-micrometer Rods Fabricated by Glancing Angle Deposition,” Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2(4), 911-914 (2014).
- Kun Yao, Ryan Toole, Pradip Basnet, and Yiping Zhao “Highly sensitive double-layered nanorod array gas sensors prepared by oblique angle deposition,” AIP, Applied Physics Letters 104 , 1-5 (2014).
- Yizhuo He, Pradip Basnet, Simona Murph, and Yiping Zhao, “Ag Nanoparticle Embedded TiO2 Composite Nanorod Arrays Fabricated by Oblique Angle Deposition: Toward Plasmonic Photocatalysis,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 5 (22) , 11818-11827 (2013).
- Pradip Basnet, George K. Larsen, Ravirajsinh P. Jadeja, Yen-Con Hung, and Yiping Zhao, “α-Fe2O3 Nanocolumns and Nanorods Fabricated by Electron Beam Evaporation for Visible Light Photocatalytic and Antimicrobial Applications,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 5, 2085-2095 (2013).