Lisa Lyon Payne
Professor of Communication
B.A., The College of William and Mary
M.S., University of Tennessee
Ph.D., University of Georgia
Lisa Lyon Payne obtained her doctorate from the University of Georgia's Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication and taught as an assistant professor of communication at Kennesaw State University in Georgia. In addition to her teaching experience, Lyon Payne has worked as a public relations consultant, research analyst, editorial assistant and writer. Outside of her academic endeavors, she enjoys tennis, the beach and time with her husband and two sons.
- Smith, E. R., Hettinga, K., Norman, J.R. and Payne, L.L. (2020). "Teachable Moment": Fostering Communities of Practice in Student Newsrooms. World Journalism Education Congress Conference Proceedings, 710-725
- Smith, E. R., Hettinga, K., Norman, J.R. and Payne, L.L. (2019). "I am a Journalist": Understanding Communities of Practice in Student Newsrooms. Paper submitted for publication in Teaching Journalism and Mass Communication 9 (1) 1-11.
- Payne, L.L. (2018). Steve Jobs: Technology for a Beginner’s Mind. In K.M. Jackson and Mark I. West (Eds.), Shapers of American Childhood. McFarland Press.
- Payne, L.L. (2017). Cultivating Honest Hearts and Knowing Heads: An Experiential Learning Project to Increase Campus Wide Levels of Trust and Responsibility Through a Student-Led Campaign. Teaching Journalism & Mass Communication, Scholarship of Application, Winter.
- Jackson, K, M. Payne, L.L., and Stolley, K.S. (2016). Celebrity Treatment: The Intersection of Medical Tourism and Star Culture in American Society. Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books.
- Payne, L.L. and Mills, T.C. (2014). What’s in the Pages? A Current Look at College Newspaper Content from Various Collegiate Environments. College Media Review 51, 58-69.
- Jackson, K, M. Payne, L.L., and Stolley, K.S. (2013). Celebrity Treatment: The Intersection of Star Culture and Medical Tourism in American Society. The Journal of American Culture 36 (2) 124-133.
- Payne, L. L., (2012). Black and White and Still Read All Over: Examining the State of College Newspapers in a Turbulent Time. College Media Review 50 (2) 18-25.
- Payne, L.L., (2012). Journalism Major Not Required. College Media Review (popular piece), 50 (2).
- Lyon, L. (2006). Synthesizing Crisis Communication and Reputation Management: An Experimental Examination of Memory. Journal of Promotion Management 12 (3/4) 161-188.
- Sallot, L., Lyon, L, Acosta-Alzuru, C. and Jones, K. (2005). From Aardvark to Zebra Redux: An Analysis of Theory Development in Public Relations Academic Journals Into the 21st Century. In T. Hansen Horn (Ed.), Public Relations Theory. Allyn & Bacon: Boston, MA.
- Lyon, L. (2005). Publicity. In Robert Heath (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Public Relations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Lyon, L. (2005). Backgrounder. In Robert Heath (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Public Relations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Lyon, L. and Cameron G.T. (2004). A Relational Approach Examining the Interplay of Prior Reputation and Immediate Response to a Crisis. Journal of Public Relations Research, 16 (3) 239-268.
- Sallot, L. and Lyon, L.(2003). Teaching Public Relations Writing. In L. M. Sallot and B.J. DeSanto (Eds.), Learning to Teach: What you need to know to develop a successful career as a PR educator (3rd ed.). PRSA Educators' Academy: New York.
- Sallot, L, and Lyon, L. (2003). Investigating Effects of Tolerance-Intolerance of Ambiguity and the Teaching of Public Relations Writing: A Quasi Experiment. Journalism and Mass Communication Educator, 58 (3) 251-272.
- Sallot, L., Lyon, L, Acosta-Alzuru, C. and Jones, K. (2003). From Aardvark to Zebra Phase II: A New Millennium Analysis of Theory Development in Public Relations Academic Journals. Journal of Public Relations Research, 15 (1) 27-90.
- Lyon, L. (2003). How Public Relations Communicators Can Learn From And Prepare For Crises. Proceedings of the Annual Georgia Communication Association Convention, 73, 10.
- Park, J, Lyon, L. and Cameron G.T. (2001). Does Reputation Management Reap Rewards? A Path Analysis of Corporate Reputation Advertising's Impacts on Brand Attitudes and Purchase Decisions. Web Journal of Mass Communication Research. Available: www.scripps.ohoiu.edu/wjmcr/.
- Lyon, L. (2001). Hands on the Big Apple: How Experiential Learning Strengthens the Integration of Theory and Practice. Proceedings of the Annual Georgia Communication Association Convention, 70, 25-28.
- Lyon, L. and Cameron, G.T. (1998). Fess Up or Stonewall? An Experimental Test of Prior Reputation and Response Style in the Face of Negative News Coverage. Web Journal of Mass Communication Research. Available: www.scripps.ohoiu.edu/wjmcr/.
- Lyon, L. and McKearney White, C. (1997). Is Any Press Good Press? The Influence of Negative Information on Brand Choice. In C. M. Macklin (Ed.), Proceedings of the American Academy of Advertising (pp.187-191), Cincinnati, OH
New space in the Batten Center provides opportunities for technological innovation and wireless collaboration